Contrary to popular perception, social science graduates earn about as much as STEM graduates and more than those who studied humanities and arts subjects.
Economics graduates are among the highest earners from all disciplines.
Politics and geography
Politics and geography graduates earn more, on average, than graduates in biosciences.
Thousands of social science graduates work for government and many are members of the analytical and policy professions. Analytical professions include economics, geography, social research, statistics and operations research.
UK businesses across all sectors draw heavily on a wide range of social science knowledge and skills, and consider them to be essential to their success.
Companies use social science knowledge and skills to run their business; understand suppliers, markets and consumers; analyse and manage risk; develop new products or ways of working; and in research, strategic planning and leadership.
Combining number and data skills with social science knowledge and approaches is particularly valued by employers of all sorts.
- Research and enquiry
- Numbers and data
- Visualisation & IT
- Ability to integrate ideas and evidence from multiple sources
- Ability to interrogate, evaluate and summarise evidence
- Ability to construct logical arguments and reasoned opinions
- Ability to understand complex issues holistically and systematically
- Ability to understand processes of change
- Ability to question assumptions
- Problem-solving skills
- Working in teams
- Interpersonal and social skills, judgement
- Empathy and ability to understand different perspectives
- Understand people and their range of behaviours
- Sensitivity to social issues, diversity and sustainability
- PLUS many subject-specific skills
- Administration & general management
- Business management
- Central government: civil service
- Charities, fundraising & social enterprise
- Economics & business analysis
- Education & training
- Financial services & accountancy
- Human resources
- Journalism & media
- Law and legal services
- Local government
- Planning, transport & housing
- Project management
- Public relations & public affairs
- Social work
- Research services
- Tourism and travel services
Positive ProspectsAcademy of Social Sciences Social Science general View
Vital BusinessAcademy of Social Sciences Social Science general View
What can I do with my degree?Prospects Social Science general View
Why hiring social scientists is the next big thingGuild Digital Limited (2018) Social Science general View
Discover AnthropologyRoyal Anthropological Institute Anthropology View
Discover Economics: careers in economicsRoyal Economic Society Economics View
Choosing a career with geographyRoyal Geographical Society (with IBG) Geography View
Become a plannerRoyal Town Planning Institute Planning View
Demystifying careers in government and politicsPolitical Studies Association Politics View
Become a psychologistThe British Psychological Society Psychology View
Sociologist CareersBritish Sociological Association Sociology View