AGM welcomes new Council members and bids farewell to retirees
July 3, 2015
The Academy held its 16th Annual General Meeting yesterday (2nd July 2015) at 33 Finsbury Square, London EC2A 1AG. Before the event, Professor John Urry FAcSS gave the Academy Annual Lecture 2015, on Offshore Worlds and Social Futures. Watch here
The Academy’s Executive Director Stephen Anderson announced the results of the elections to Council, which are being separately notified to all Academy members. A strong turnout – both in terms of the number of candidates and the level of voting – was welcomed as evidence of growing engagement by the membership with their Academy. A late resignation from Council meant that there were three vacancies in each of the two constituencies – for election by the member Learned Societies and by the Fellows. Accordingly, the six people listed below will now join Council, along with Professor Roger Goodman FAcSS, whom Council has appointed as its new Chair in succession to Professor Sir Cary Cooper CBE FAcSS.
- Professor Patricia Broadfoot CBE FAcSS, Emeritus Professor of Education, University of Bristol
- Emeritus Professor David Byrne FAcSS, Professor in the School of Applied Social Sciences, University of Durham
- Professor Linda Hantrais FAcSS, Emeritus Professor, Department of Politics, History and International Relations, Loughborough University
- Professor Matt Flinders FAcSS, Professor in Politics, University of Sheffield and Chair of the Political Studies Association
- Professor Andrew Jones FAcSS, Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, City University London
- Professor Catherine Pope, Professor of Medical Sociology, University of Southampton
Stephen Anderson and Cary Cooper both paid tribute to the immensely valuable contribution made by those who were leaving Council at the AGM: Professors Tony Crook CBE, Michael Harloe, Fiona Cownie, Dominic Abrams, Amanda Griffiths and John Brewer. The Academy is very grateful for their dedicated work during a period of change and growth.
The Academy’s President Sir Ivor Crewe FAcSS joined Stephen Anderson in paying tribute to the outstanding and inspirational leadership shown by Sir Cary throughout his six years as Chair of Council. During this period the Academy had flourished. Sir Cary’s consistently positive outlook and ‘can do’ attitude, his talent for nurturing and encouraging colleagues and the secretariat, coupled with his ability to understand organisational dynamics – all of this underpinned by continuous hard work and close engagement – had made possible a time of growth and development.
Professor Roger Goodman was warmly welcomed as the Academy’s new Chair.
After the AGM Sir Ivor presented certificates to several new Fellows and all present enjoyed a drinks reception sponsored by the publishers of the Academy’s journal, Taylor and Francis.
A few photos from the event follow